Wednesday, July 11, 2012

July 2, 2012

Hey family,

Wow thank you all so much for your emails and for sending your love and support.  I loved all of the pictures that you sent me and it looks like everyone is doing well and you are all experiencing the heat of the sun (Kenzie, and Korb look sun-burnt in the pictures you sent me:)  I´m glad to hear that everyone is doing well and happy.  First of all I want you all to know that while you are celebrating the birthday of our country with a bunch of Americans I´m going to be doing it in a house of 3 other Latins....Needless to say I´m absolutely stoked!!!!

Ok for this week in my life.  The honest truth is that there isn't a ton to report this was another slow week in terms of missionary work but it was nonetheless a good week and I feel like it was productive in some way.  We spent almost the whole week doing service projects.  The people here really like to call the missionaries when they need to put in a cement floor or some other kind of structure.  At this point I can pretty much say that I´m an expert at building stuff so I´ll be coming home looking for a job at Holmes Homes.  Haha it´s fun though and I figure if my comp won´t work for the Lord we can throw him into the fire and build some houses for people.  It´s been good though and fun to learn how to work with cement "Panamanian" style.  

On Thursday was the most insane rain storm I have ever seen in my whole entire life.  For real those crazy storms in Lake Powell can´t even touch this one.  It was raining so hard you couldn't see the other side of the street and lightning bolts literally were striking the house I was in and that is not an exaggeration in any form.  It was nuts and lasted about an hour and a half so needless to stay we had to stay in the house of the member where we were at.    

On Friday and Saturday I did divisions with an elder in the zone and went to his area.  It was nice to get out and do work with him and more than anything a change of scenery really helped to refresh me.  I love my area and my companion but every once in a while seeing a new face or new places can really help out.  

In terms of investigators we´re still fighting with a few that don´t want to come to church.  It´s been amazing to watch and to feel the difference of working with Elders who work with the spirit and constantly have it in comparison to Elders who don´t.  Something that I really have learned in the change more than anything is that being close to the spirit is the most important thing we can do.  If the people don´t feel the spirit they won´t be converted and if they´re not converted they can´t be saved in the kingdom of God.  In my reading of the Book of Mormon it has been incredible to see how many times the people are "filled with the spirit" when teaching and when being taught.  I know now better than ever that the key to success in the mission field is teaching, walking, and doing everything that we do with the Spirit of the Lord.  I´m so thankful to have been baptized and confirmed to the gift of having the Spirit with me in every moment so long as I keep myself worthy.  

I love you and am looking forward to this last week here with my companion.  President wrote me today and told me that I will be having a new companion so I´m excited to see how that all works out and excited to look forward to new challenges and experiences.  I love you all and pray that you will be blessed in all that you do!

Elder Hawks

No comments:

Post a Comment