Friday, February 1, 2013

December 31, 2012


Hello family,

Thanks for all of the pictures that look like you guys had an absolutely awesome Christmas time in the land of snow and mountains. Ah I must say that it was so much fun to get to talk to all of you through Skype and it was cool to have all of us together and to get to talk all together. I’ll be honest it was fun but next time I think it would be cool to just do it with the family that’s there at the house. It was so fun and made my Christmas so much fun!

To be honest this week was slow because my two financial secretary friends have had a lot of stuff to do and unfortunately I’m not allowed to go out and proselyte by myself. One really fun thing that happened this week was that all of us office elders got free iPhone 4S! Haha it’s a lot of fun to have a nicer phone as a missionary than I ever had at home! Well what can you do just take advantage of it:)

Besides a pretty slow week there’s not a ton to report. Tonight should be fun because we have a nice dinner with a lady in our ward then we’ll come to the office and watch the fireworks that are going to go off at midnight:) I hope that this week can be better and I’m going to do everything that I have to to make sure that it is better. It’s interesting to be in the office because I’m here with some of the best elders in the mission but they just don’t have the desire to go to the area and work as missionaries. Last night while I was in bed thinking about this whole office assignment I realized that it’s just that. We have all been "called" to be missionaries but within that calling we have received the assignment to do a little something more. The interesting thing is that we never lose our calling and we’re now expected to fill our assignment while still being missionaries. I don’t know why it took me so long to come to that conclusion but it’s so true and now I have to be better at doing both of those things.

I’m finding out that I have to step up and be a leader. I have to be the one to get up and say hey let’s go let’s get to our area but I have to do it the right way with love but also authority. Something that’s also been tough is working with people who are unwilling to listen to your ideas or that are incapable of seeing things in your light. It’s made me think a lot of my time with Sabayon but in a very different light because there people that have had success in the mission and have good ideas but at the same time I know that my ideas are also good. Do I need to be more willing to take a step back or more authoritive in terms of doing things my way? What do you think mom and dad?

Our investigators are getting thrown into second place and that doesn’t make me feel good. It shouldn’t be that way. These people are the whole reason I came on the mission because if I can’t help them improve their lives through coming to Christ I’m not fulfilling my purpose as a missionary and I’m wasting my time. The truth is that it’s time to start a new year, the last year of my mission, and get some work done. I’m excited for the opportunity to start the year and to set some goals and then work my butt off to accomplish them. I know that the Lord has blessed me with a good brain, healthy body, and legs capable of walking a lot. I think it’s about time I step up and start being what he expects me to be.

I love you all so much and am so thankful for what you do for me. It’s been so much fun to be here in the office and get to learn new things about the mission, my Heavenly Father and about myself. I know that the Lord needs me to learn from this experience and I pray that I’m doing all that He expects of me and becoming what he wants and expects me to become. I know this church is true and am so blessed to be here in Panama telling these people all about it. I hope you all have a wonderful week and that you’re safe during the New Year’s festivities!

Elder Hawks

No comments:

Post a Comment